Being vegan is terrific.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tempeh Shepherdess Pie + My First Post




Veganerrific point #1: Being vegan makes you appreciate and love food (and cooking!) so much more.




I've always loved food, animals and reading. Lately these interests have merged together in the form of me devouring amazing vegan cookbooks and the utterly delectable treats that they produce. So many people think that being vegan means you're completely limited to what you eat but I've found the complete opposite to be true.... being vegan expands your horizons.


Today's post features my version of the Tempeh Shepherdess Pie from Veganomicon. I'm a bit of an anarchist when it comes to cooking - I don't like to follow rules - so recipes always tend to be altered somewhat. I've used kumara since I just think it's by far superior to average potatoes. The biggest change here, however, is simply in the presentation. I like to serve my pie in individual serving dishes in a bit of a pub-style twist. Plus, it's the perfect meal to be heated up if not everybody is home at the same time: you can prepare it in the individual serving dishes and then put it in the oven for 20 mins rather than having to re-heat it in a microwave. I'm thinking that it would be a pretty awesome meal to prepare the night before...

Admittedly, it doesn't look the best presentation-wise here, but it could be easily jazzed up if you're out to impress... I'd suggest serving it in the bowl on top of a big white place, with peas, gravy and a pint of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment